Friday, February 24, 2017

drinking straws

Straws are everywhere!  When you go out to eat, order a drink at a bar or coffee shop everyone has a straw in their drink. It's almost like second nature to stick one of those pesky things in your glass! 
In the USA, 500 MILLION straws are used each DAY. After their single use, they are discarded. Most end up in the landfill but unfortunately a large amount end up in our waterways due to litter.  Did you know straws are among the TOP 10 marine debris items? Straws, like plastic bags, endanger our wildlife too. They break down into smaller pieces which can be ingested by fish, birds and turtles. 

I stumbled upon these eye opening facts a year ago and immediately stopped using plastic straws. Now I carry reusable stainless steel straws when I'm on the go and use glass straws at home. When I dine out I request "No straw please" or dine at establishments who only serve straws upon request. I prefer straws upon request because I don't have to worry about receiving an unnecessary straw. 

Reusable straws are available online, at local markets and some cafes. 
I purchased my first glass straw at the Hyde Park Sunday Fresh Market from a vendor who sells Strawesome glass straws. Strawesome is a family owned company from Michigan. I've encountered great customer service with them and they offer a lifetime guarantee on their straws. These straws are also packaged without plastic even when shipped. 

I've purchased individual, unpackaged stainless steel straws with a cleaning brush at Squeeze Juice Works on S. Blvd in Tampa. They are conveniently located at the check out counter. 


If you aren't local, check out this Etsy shop : MasonJarLifestyle. This shop offers a wide variety of straws and will ship without plastic upon request. Also, great customer service. 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MasonJarLifestyle

Need something to hold your straw in to keep it clean while you are out and about? 
I use StrawSleeves (another Etsy shop). These handmade sleeves are made from reclaimed denim, cotton and hemp. Easy to clean and stylish! https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawSleeves?ref=hdr_shop_menu


Just say NO - to the straw!


2 comments:

  1. I've used pipe cleaners to clean mine, but a brush would be even better! Mine, unfortunately, didn't come with one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you live in the Tampa area? Some tea and juice shops have the straw cleaners for sale.

      Delete